Support The BREATHE Act!
Learn more here.
Learn more here.
Welcome to SURJ SB
We are the Santa Barbara Chapter of a national organization with over 150 chapters and affiliate groups across the United States, committed to drawing white people into the multiracial movement for racial justice in ways that are effective and accountable. We work in direct collaboration with organizing groups led by people of color in our community and across the nation, to whom we are accountable.
Find the national organization at showingupforracialjustice.org
Find the SURJ mission and methods for social change here .
Find SURJ Shared Values here.
How do we CALL IN?
We design and share anti-racism educational curriculum via presentations, workshops, and study-to-action groups in order to compel white people to better understand systemic racism and their role in dismantling it.
How do we SHOW UP?
We show up at events, actions, and protests to co-conspire in meeting the goals determined by our accountability partners. When invited, we co-organize with BIPOC-led organizing groups in our community. Sign up for an Action Pod here
Examples of our ACTIONS:
Examples of actions on which we have co-conspired with BIPOC-led organizing groups:
- Participated in May Day Coalition to provide a COVID safe car protest for essential workers
- Collaborated with Black Lives Matter SB and Equity for SB on Police Use of Force policies
- Compiled nationwide research on the impact of School Resource Officers on students of color, and submitting a comprehensive summary to all members of the Santa Barbara School Board
- Submit regular Op-ed pieces to amplify local racial justice concerns.
- Provided training on relational canvassing for racial justice ballot issues and candidates.
- Offer education at Earth Day to highlight how racism intersects with the environmental movement.
- Volunteered with 805UndocuFund and Importa SB on Know Your Rights campaign and local relief efforts.
...and many more!
Here are some SURJ SB FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS!
Join our Weekly Action email list here, or use the QR Code below:
"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. " ~ Desmond Tutu